Kaunas
old town
Kaunas old town histories
Kaunas customs house

The Kaunas customs house opened in the 15th century. The customs houses did not belong to the town, but were rented state institutions at that time. The customs house activities enlivened the trade in Kaunas and also protected local townspeople from the competing foreign merchants. Thus, the customs house was beneficial to Kaunas townspeople. In the middle of the 18th century, the privately rented customs house was transferred from Kaunas to Jurbarkas, and thus Kaunas townspeople requested the return of the customs house to Kaunas, basing this request on the old laws. Despite the request, only after the Tsarist government reforms of 1827 was the customs house returned to Kaunas. Liudas...

Read more
All stories
Photo gallery
More photos
Kaunas old town
Map
See map